Sunday, August 22, 2010

"I promise that if you will keep your journals and records, they will indeed be a source of great inspiration to your families, to your children, your grandchildren and others, on through the generations. Each of us is important to those who are near and dear to us and as our posterity read of our life's experiences, they, too, will come to know and love us. And in that glorious day when our families are together in the eternities, we will already to acquainted."
-Spencer W. Kimball





I love this quote by Spencer W. Kimball... this quote alone is one that inspires me to keep a journal. There are times when I wonder why I keep buying journals to write events of MY life in... I don't feel like I have great and amazing things to fill the pages with, but I can honestly say that keeping a journal has blessed my life. I may not see the purpose of writing now, but maybe one day I will.

A few weeks ago I was cleaning out my closet and I came across all of my past journals. They start the day I was baptized. I spent hours reading through them...remembering past experiences, laughing at how big of a dork I sound in some of them, wanting to rip out some pages, and realizing how much I have grown. ( & still am growing)

After reading through my own journals, I decided I wanted to read through others in my family. We have a binder full of copies of journal entries from my grandparents, great grandparents, great-great.. and on.. I love this binder. I love learning about my ancestors and reading their thoughts. Even though I can't remember meeting them, I have a love and appreciation for them because of these journal entries.

This is what makes me write... and I hope I keep writing throughout my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment